This optional module provides an opportunity for students to gain first hand practical experience within a professional environment prior to their final year of study. This module integrates education with the creative industries. It provides students with a range of experiences and skills relative to their practice, future career and professional development.
The module is designed to facilitate opportunities for students to interpret and practice their academic knowledge, develop personal, transferrable, professional and entrepreneurial skills and develop a knowledge and understanding of the role of the practitioner within the creative industries.
The essential aims of this module are:
- Enhance a student’s awareness in a professional and social context of the workplace
- Consolidate, complement and extend a student’s academic programme of study
- Develop personal and professional skills that will contribute towards a student’s employability
The student will gain professional experience in a creative environment as part of a team in an industrial or commercial context, or workshop/studio/community or curatorial context. There will be clear direction given by the Placement Tutor and Placement Partner to allow the student to fulfill a self directed programme of work, which will be continually monitored by the Industrial Supervisor and periodically by the Visiting Academic Tutor.
Preparation for placement is delivered during Level 5 in order to develop reflective learning skills to enhance the quality of learning from work experience.
- Strange, G. (2016) Do Fly. The Do Book Co
- Deluca, J.M. & Lees, J. (2012) Job Interviews: Top answers to tough questions. Ed. 3. London: McGraw-Hill Professional
- Fanthome, C (2004) Work Placements - A Survival Guide for Students, Palgrave Macmillan
- Lees, J (2012) How to get a Job you’ll Love. 2013-2014 Edition. Mc Graw Hill
- Nelson Bolles, R. (2016) What Colour Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers. Revised ed. Ten Speed Press.
- Krannich C & R (2007) Win the Interview Win the Job. Impact Publications
- Career Development Centre
- Ulster GradNAV - vacancies in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, with links to other graduate websites
- The Professional and Career Enhancement System (PACE)
Publications available at the Career Development Centre:
- Prospects Work Experience
- Target Work Experience
- GradIreland Work Experience
- CDC Action Planning Guide for 1st / 2nd Year students
- CDC Starting Points Series on placement and work experience
- Code: IXD306
- Year: 3
- Semester: 1&2
- Credits: 60
- Delivery: Lectures, Seminars, Workshops and Self-Directed Study
- GitHub Repo